Search This Blog

Friday, January 22, 2010

Top 10 of 0-10

Fresh off the list of the '09 film winners, now let's take a look at the most anticipated films of 0-10. I'm excited that both Scorsese and Nolan have films coming out this year.

10. The Book of Eli - Denzel and Gary Oldman open up the new year with a post-apocalyptic prophet and his journey to the West. If there's one thing about Washington and Oldman, it's that they bring it to each and every film they make. Truly professionals.

9. Dinner for Schmucks - I'm simply putting this on there for the three-headed monster of Carell, Rudd, and Galifianakis. Plus, it's a remake of Diner de Cons, a hilarious Pignon French comedy.

8. Robin Hood - Russell Crowe as Robin? I can't see it. But until I watch it, I can't doubt any Scott/Crowe collabos.

7. Tron Legacy - Have you SEEN the trailer?

6. Iron Man 2 - Officially kicking off the 2010 summer blockbuster season is Favreau and Downey's sequel. Though 1 was a success, I fully expect this to surpass it in every way. For one, there are better actors (Rourke, Rockwell, Johansson) and as we all know, the second film is usually the best film of a (comic book) franchise (Batman Returns, The Dark Knight, Spider-Man 2, Hellboy II, X2).

5. Prince of Persia - this would be higher on the list but lately it appears as if Bruckheimer and his production company has been losing their touch. Though I did not despise At World's End as most people did, I do recognize some flaws. The "Pirates" series have declined with each film. Hopefully they at least start off this franchise correctly.

4. Toy Story 3 - It's Pixar. It's Toy Story. It's Tim Allen and Tom Hanks. 'Nuff said.

3. Alice in Wonderland - any Tim Burton movie is a treat to watch on the silver screen. So far this does not seem to be an exception.

2. Shutter Island - Scorsese directing a horror/fantasy film? I don't care. The man can do anything and with Leo in the lead, you know it will be a winner.

1. Inception - Speaking of Leo and winning and amazing directors, Nolan's latest appears to be some sci-fi mindgame. Well, as a psychology major, how can I not put this (and consequently every Nolan flick as #1 for their respective years?


There are still so many other great films that are slated for a 2010 release that I would love to include! Of them include the first part of the Harry Potter finale, a light-hearted buddy-cop movie with Walhberg and Will Ferrell entitled The Other Guys, Percy Jackson & the Olympians, The Wolfman, Last Night (so I'm in love with Knightley, sue me), Clash of the Titans, the Robert Rodriguez-directed Machete, the long-awaited Will Forte feature film role in MacGruber, the last Shrek film tentatively titled Shrek Forever After, The A-Team, Jonah Hex (Megan Fox plays a gun-wielding prostitute? Sign me up!), The Social Network (I'm curious how they'll depict my favorite website okay? Besides blogspot of course), and Due Date.

Due Date - does lightning strike twice?...in back to back years, no less? Todd Phillips teams up Downey with Galifianakis along with Jamie Foxx for a road trip/comedy film...we'll see how this one does following in The Hangover's massive, overly drunk and stumbling silhouette. This and the following were the two films closest to cracking the top ten.

Just let me say this. The Green Hornet was going to be a sure-fire top 3 pick until they forced Stephen Chow out of the roles of director and Kato. The guy's a legend and a genius. Give him the creative control he wants and watch the money roll in and the hilarity ensue. After having watched some of his greatest films recently (All for the Winner, Fight Back to School, Shaolin Soccer), I would say that if he wants to write, direct, and star in his own film - let him! I mean this with no disrespect for Gondry, as I love his films and actually want him to direct my little screenplay...but Chow greatly admires Bruce Lee and would have done the film justice by honoring the series as well as putting his own, unique imprint on it that would have made it a WORLDWIDE success, not just a local US success. Ah well, here I go ranting again...

No comments:

Post a Comment