Search This Blog

Thursday, January 28, 2010

R.I.P. Mr. J.D. Salinger




NO! Just read a post on Yahoo saying the great author died at the age of 91.

It has been my dream to someday meet this great writer and somehow, SOMEHOW convince him to let me adapt "Catcher in the Rye" into a screenplay for the silver screen. I know he is famous for being a reclusive hermit that thinks the movies is a "form of prostitution" (or so Holden believes).

Salinger's book has been my favorite novel since I read it in high school as it embodies all the important societal questions that we face; not unlike "Lord of the Flies", "Of Mice and Men", and almost any Kurt Vonnegut book. More importantly, as a psychology major, many of Holden's views (and thus problems) must be addressed to real people who relate to them. As it is shown in the book, psychoanalysis seems to fail in curing Holden of his troubles.

Salinger was truly an interesting man and I would have loved to have a chance to chat with him. After having watched Julie and Julia recently, Salinger is the Julia Child to my Julie. May he rest in peace and my thoughts go out to the Salinger family.


Sources:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100128/ap_en_ot/us_obit_salinger

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._D._Salinger

No comments:

Post a Comment